Using the Library
Any Newtown resident is welcomed and encouraged to get a library card. Proof of residency (such as a driver’s license or mail showing a Newtown address) is required before a card will be issued. Children under 16 years of age must have a parent or guardian signature. Start the process online or visit one of our service desks to sign up. A card issued in Newtown to a Newtown resident is valid within the entire state of Connecticut. You must have your library card when you check out library materials. You can check your account, renew items, and place holds online: My Account.
|Adult and Young Adult (YA) Materials||How Many?||How Long?||Renew (2 times)*||Overdue Fine**||Maximum Fine|
|NEW Books||Unlimited||14 days||Yes||$0.20/day||$3.00|
|DVD Movies||Unlimited||7 days||Yes||$1.50/day||$6.00|
|Nonfiction / Educational DVDs||Unlimited||14 days||Yes||$0.25/day||$5.00|
|Cake Pans||Unlimited||14 days||Yes||$.20/day||$3.00|
|WiFi Hotspots||One||14 Days||Yes||$2.00/day||$50.00|
|Children’s Materials||How Many?||How Long?||Renew (2 times)*||Overdue Fine**||Maximum Fine|
|Music CDs||Unlimited||3 weeks||Yes||$0.10/day||$3.00|
*Renewals allowed only if no one else is waiting for the item.
**Unless noted Senior Citizen cards are not charged fines for overdues.
***All library patrons are charged replacement costs for damaged or lost library materials. Cost varies. Disc replacement is a standard $10.00.
There is a charge of $2.00 for a replacement library card.
Items borrowed from C.H. Booth Library will automatically renew on the due date if renewals are available.
You can check your account, renew items, and place holds online: My Account.
If you or someone you know cannot get to the C. H. Booth Library for any reason, just let us know and we’ll get your items to your doorstep—anywhere in Newtown!
Here’s how Words on Wheels works:
- Your library card has to be on file with the C.H. Booth Library. If you don’t have a card, you can sign up online or ask for a registration form when you call to have your books delivered for the first time.
- Call the Library during regular library hours at (203) 426-4533, email email@example.com, or fill out our form to request items.
- Most items can be loaned for one to three weeks. New books are loaned for two weeks and may have a waiting list.
- When you’ve finished the books, simply call or email the library to request pick-up or another delivery.
- The copy machines are self-service and available on each floor of the library. Black & white copies are 10 cents per page; color is 50 cents.
- Black & white computer print-outs are 10 cents per page; color is 50 cents per page.
- There is a fax machine for public use on the third floor. This is for out-going faxes only. Faxes are $1/page for the first 3 pages, and 50 cents a page thereafter, and can be paid in cash at the Reference Desk.
- A scanner is available in the Reference Department on the third floor.
- Computers are available for use by adults in the Reference Department, for teens in the Young Adult Department, and for children in the Children’s Department.
- To reserve materials a patron may use the library’s online catalog which allows items to be requested. Please contact a librarian if the items cannot be found in the catalog.
- Patrons will be notified by email or phone when items are ready for pickup. Patrons will have five (5) working days to pick up their material. Materials for patron pick up will be held at the Main Circulation Desk on the second floor. Materials can also be picked up outside on the patio. Please call 203-426-4533 or email firstname.lastname@example.org when you receive the notice your items are ready to arrange a time for Patio Pickup.
Use of the Meeting or Gathering Room is encouraged for public gatherings of a cultural, civic, or educational nature. However, Library programs always take precedence over all others. The use of the Meeting room (not Gathering Room) on Tuesday and Thursday evenings will be reserved for Library programs. If there is no Library event scheduled, the Program Coordinator may at his/her discretion schedule another group. To inquire regarding the scheduling of meeting space in the Library please email our Program Coordinator at email@example.com or call the Library’s main number 203-426-4533 to leave a message for the Program Coordinator during regular Library hours.