A cool place, but not a cooling centerPosted on
During periods of extreme heat, cooling centers are often opened up at the local level. Cooling centers provide a place to cool off for members of the community especially those most impacted by extreme heat.
While the C.H. Booth Library is a great place to visit, and while we are happy to have functional air-conditioning (for the time being *), it is not an officially designated cooling center.
Designated cooling centers are listed through United Way-211 which lists the site location and facility hours. There are no official cooling centers in Newtown.
According to the great people at 2-1-1, the closest official cooling centers for our locality that are available for the short term (Wednesday 8/3 through Friday 8/5) are:
* Danbury War Memorial located on One Memorial Drive in Danbury is available as a Cooling Center and Charging Station W-F: 5am-10pm
* Danbury Public Library located on 170 Main Street is available as a Cooling Center W,Th: 10am-8pm; F: 10am-5pm
* Hatters Hall located on 7 East Hayestown Road is available as a cooling center W,Th: 9am-4:30pm; F: Closed
* New Street Shelter located at 41 New Street, will be available as a cooling center W,Th,F: 9am-2pm.
* The hvac system at the library is beyond the end of its service life and frequently stops working during the summer months. Since the facility is owned by the town, the library is working on a plan for replacement to present the municipality for its Capital Improvement Process.